Friday, March 18, 2011

Another Print Magazine and a Book Recommendation

I would like to share my latest print magazine debut. You can order the latest copy of Indigo Rising magazine here. My poems "For the Professor Whose Name I Share" dedicated to Amanda Skjeveland, and "Speechless" are included in this volume. You can purchase your copy here for only $5. Go ahead and add Heavy Hands Ink volume 3, with my poem "No Country", here. Thank you for supporting me and the literary community as a whole!

On a related note, my good friend Keri from Write Turn Here is featured in Short, Fast, and Deadly's most recent print anthology. You can find that here. If you're interested in microfiction, you can read Keri's interview with SFD editor Joseph Quintela here.

Finally, I believe the best way to improve your writing is to read, read, read. To that end, I'm going to start posting book recommendations periodically. These books will be chosen specifically to target specific writing skills they exemplify. And if they look interesting, buy them through the link here!

Today's recommended reading is Neil Gaiman's American Gods. I recommend this book once at almost every writing workshop I participate in. First and foremost, it features one of the hardest mixes in contemporary writing: literary quality writing with a creative, original story. Gaiman successfully weaves non-Classical mythology into a contemporary setting into a well written story. I recommend this frequently to authors who are attempting to take myths, folk tales, or fairy tales and twist them into something more. Gaiman is a great example of how to do that without sounding like Stephanie Meyer. Buy it, read it, love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment